Newest Addition to ...

Notifications
Clear all

Newest Addition to the Collection  

RSS

(@jschottenham)
Active Contributor Active NFLCC Member
03/04/2020 8:25 pm  

I was thrilled when ORCA President Ron Gast allowed me to add this early side-mount reel to my collection. For years my main focus has been to try and re-create the side-mount reel collection that once belonged to Hoagy B. Carmichael. Cataloged by reel historian Jim Brown for the fall 1999 & spring 2000 Lang's auctions, these were in large part what got me interested in reel collecting - along with advice from my good friend Bill Holbein. Tracking down reels that were part of a collection that was sold more than 20 years ago hasn't been easy, but it sure has been fun. I've been very lucky to have a great network of friends that keep an eye out for reels that fit my collection. I have tracked down a few reels from that famed collection that now have a great home in private collections, so to make up for that I've expanded with a few reels that I think enhance what Hoagy assembled. This reel was on display at the most recent FATC show in Daytona, and with the help of a few friends, I was able to contact Ron and work out a deal to bring it back to New York. This was sold in 1999 as lot 48, described as a "Spider pattern side-mount, circa 1870". Made by a currently unknown reel maker, it sure looks good to me. I took what I thought would be a good shot on a dated 1889 oil on board, but I think it looks better alone on a rod. I posted the other photo too, but I like the first.

New Toy

On Board

Share: