Forum

Silo Bait Farm Wago...

Notifications
Clear all

Silo Bait Farm Wagoner, OK

(@old_lures2021)
New Contributor Active NFLCC Member
Topic starter  

My grandparents started the Silo Bait Farm north of Wagoner, Oklahoma, in the 1950s.  They closed the business in the early 1970s and retired.  I have some of their fishing lures in the original boxes and I think there are paper tags in the boxes as well. There are many lures with no boxes.  I also spotted an event scheduled for Burleson, Texas, which I could attend.   If someone could send me information about that event I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much!  

(@sschottenham)
Admin

Hi Georgia, thanks for contacting us!  

@crice or @sclegg or @SouthBendCollector - do you have any additional information you can share regarding the Burleson show this fall? 

ReplyQuote
(@old_lures2021)
Topic starter  

@sschottenham

According to the NFLCC website, it appears to be tentatively scheduled for October 23, 2021, but that is all I can find about it.  I know that a McKay Rice in Burleson used to be active with this organization, but he has since retired from his veterinary practice and I have no way of contacting him.  Right now I am attempting to organize the lures into a spreadsheet with photographs and looking at eBay for completed items to assist me in determining the value of my collection.  In 2010 R. Lewis offered me a flat amount for the entire collection but my mother nixed the deal.  She passed in 2016 and the lures need another home.  If I could attend an event in my area, that would save a buyer shipping costs.  The wood Heddons I have are in two sizes and in their original boxes but I am not certain of their date, possibly the 1960s.  Cataloguing the lures is almost overwhelming.  LOL  

ReplyQuote
(@crice)

Georgia, Chip Rice here. You can call me at 817-223-0645. My address is 102 Cresendo Place, Joshua, Tx.76058

My email is . Get ahold of me however is best for you and I will be glad to help in any way possible.

Thanks, Chip Rice

ReplyQuote
(@old_lures2021)
Topic starter  

Mr. Rice, I have seen your response and replied via email.  Thank you very much, Georgia Clark

ReplyQuote
(@old_lures2021)
Topic starter  

I thought I had posted something just now but do not see it.

I really need someone in the Fort Worth area who would evaluate my lures as to their value before I even begin to offer them for sale.  Turning the lures over to strangers to decide what their value happens to be is a "no go" for me.  What I am asking seems only fair to me since I am the one with the lures.  Therefore, is there someone in the Fort Worth area who could assist me in this endeavor and who has a reputation for honesty?

Thank you for your time.

ReplyQuote
(@ewalker)

@old_lures2021Welcome to the Nflcc. I am sure you will be able to find a member who will give you an honest evaluation of your lures. If you don’t find someone in a reasonable amount of time, email or message me and I will give you a couple of names that would be more than capable of helping to determine the value of your lures. I collect Oklahoma lures, but I am not familiar with the Silo lures. I love the history of the small companies that produced fishing tackle. I would love to see a picture of a Silo lure and box. If you have time, would you please send a picture to my email. My email address is . Thank you for your time.

ReplyQuote
(@old_lures2021)
Topic starter  

Mr. Walker,

Thank you for your kind offer.  I do have someone working with me now about identifying almost 300 lures, most of which were from the inventory of the Silo Bait Farm.  My grandparents sold minnows, homemade stinkbait, fishing tackle, you name it, on the road to a government-built dam north of Wagoner, Oklahoma.  Other than stinkbait, Grandfather did not manufacture anything else.  They retired around 1972 and their home and business were torn down by the people who bought the land.  Grandfather had built quite a business and wanted its reputation to be remembered the way it was when they owned it. I believe a railroad depot was moved to the corner where they lived.  The last time I drove by the silo was still standing.  My grandfather was quite a man and his reputation for honesty is still remembered in Wagoner. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Georgia Clark

ReplyQuote
Share: